The day starts with looking at how to set up a scythe so that it will work well for you, then it is out to the field to have a go at mowing.
After lunch we cover the all important job of keeping your blade sharp and cutting well, including the art of peening.
All equipment is provided. There will be an opportunity to purchase a scythe and related equipment at the end of the day, including a blade that has been peened and is ready to mow.
“I did the scything course with you last year. A really excellent day and I’ve hardly put the scythe down since.”
David, N Wales, 2013 course graduate
- In the unlikely event that the minimum number of participants has not been met within 2 weeks of the start date, courses may be cancelled or rescheduled.
- Where a course is fully booked we can accept further names in case of a cancellation.
Cancellations: If you need to cancel your place, please contact us as soon as possible.
- For cancellations more than 4 weeks before the course date we offer a full refund or the opportunity to transfer to another course date, minus £10 to cover our administration costs.
- For cancellations within 4 weeks of the course date no refund or transfer is offered, unless we are able to fill the place or if special circumstances apply. We reserve the right to decide whether the latter applies.
Start times: Times listed are the actual time the course begins. Please arrive 15-30 min before the stated time if you would like a hot drink beforehand.
Course details and directions: Details of what you will need to bring and directions to the Trust will be emailed to you after booking.
Ages: All courses are suitable for participants aged 16+.
- Camping at Dyfed Permaculture Farm Trust.
- Noddfa Bed and Breakfast in Drefach Felindre (1.5 miles away)
- Melin Pandy Bed and Breakfast in Newcastle Emlyn (5 miles away)
- Bwthyn Gwyrdd self catering cabin (less then 1 mile on foot, 2 miles by car)
- Dolbran Holiday Flat in Henllan, from £10 per person per night (2 miles away)