Subjects covered will include setting up and using a peening station, peening with a jig, free-hand peening and blade repair. There will be plenty of time to work on your own blade and get it into top mowing condition with help on hand.
Perhaps you haven’t managed to get a jig out yet and have a go? Come along to the workshop and give your blade it’s first peen with help on hand. If you have been using your blade heavily but haven’t peened it yet there may be a fair amount of work to do to get it back into tip top condition – we’ll have our peening machine out to make the job easier.
“Thank you for helping arrange the course today, it was choc full of scything information.”
Jake, SW Wales, 2015 course graduate
This course is a useful addition to the peening taught on the Introductory course, or for the more experienced mower who would like to take their blade care to a higher level.
Peening equipment will be provided, although you are also encouraged to bring your own. Bring your own blade, practice blades will also be available. There will be an opportunity to purchase further scythe and peening equipment.
- In the unlikely event that the minimum number of participants has not been met within 2 weeks of the start date, courses may be cancelled or rescheduled.
- Where a course is fully booked we can accept further names in case of a cancellation.
Cancellations: If you need to cancel your place, please contact us as soon as possible.
- For cancellations more than 4 weeks before the course date we offer a full refund or the opportunity to transfer to another course date, minus £10 to cover our administration costs.
- For cancellations within 4 weeks of the course date no refund or transfer is offered, unless we are able to fill the place or if special circumstances apply. We reserve the right to decide whether the latter applies.
Start times: Times listed are the actual time the course begins. Please arrive 15-30 min before the stated time if you would like a hot drink beforehand.
Course details and directions: Details of what you will need to bring and directions to the Trust will be emailed to you after booking.
Ages: All courses are suitable for participants aged 16+.
- Camping at Dyfed Permaculture Farm Trust.
- Noddfa Bed and Breakfast in Drefach Felindre (1.5 miles away)
- Melin Pandy Bed and Breakfast in Newcastle Emlyn (5 miles away)
- Bwthyn Gwyrdd self catering cabin (less then 1 mile on foot, 2 miles by car)
- Dolbran Holiday Flat in Henllan, from £10 per person per night (2 miles away)